Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Great Japanese Steakhouse Adventure

I know, I'm a little late with this post, but I promise I started it on Saturday! I recently acquired a new computer, and I'm still getting the hang of it.

Some friends and I met at a local Japanese steakhouse for dinner last night. Although it was certainly not my first time at such a place, it was my first visit to this particular establishment, causing my to make the following observations about Japanese steakhouses.

1. I am always exceedingly skeptical about the cleanliness of the grill, cooking utensils, and butter. Especially the butter. It sits out all day and is used over and over again, quite possible by different people.

2. Speaking of people. The entire success of the evening is dependent on the chef. In my experience, the personality of the chef can make or break the evening. We had a good chef last night. His name is Pedro and he's from Micronesia. Or so he says.

3. I probably should have put chef in quotation marks. Does anyone know if they actually attended culinary school?

4. The set up of steakhouses is not at all conducive to small groups. Unless your party is large enough (in number) to fill up an entire side, your meal will probably be awkward. Last night the group across from us was facing this dilemma. There was a group of three on one side, a couple in the middle, and another couple with a small baby on the end. The middle couple appeared to be oblivious to the world around them, but everyone else was attempting to make small talk. You are eating food that's all prepared together right in front of you, after all! But being complete strangers and unlikely ever to see each other again, the small talk only goes so far, leaving you and whoever you are with to tilt your chairs towards each other and avoid eye contact with your fellow diners.

5. All of the aforementioned "chefs" are pyromaniacs.

6. Babies dislike fire, leading them to dislike the "chefs" and the entire dining experience.

7. There are two types of diners. The ones who take home leftovers and the ones who do not. It's very easy to tell them apart.

8. The leftovers are even better the next day.

9. I guess anything that is drowning in white sauce would be, though. Can I get an amen? Amen.

10. I strongly dislike people who throw shrimp at me and expect me to catch it in my mouth. Perhaps that should have been mentioned earlier.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Favorite part: the unstated logical progression from #7 to #8. It's a beautiful example of the idea that sometimes what one doesn't say speaks louder than what one does say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This only scratches the surface of the adventures of that night :)

    ReplyDelete