Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day One?

Two days down, many more to go. Yesterday was my first day of school. Well, sort of. Yesterday was the first day we had to be at school, but I'd probably say today was the first real day.

Here's what yesterday consisted of:

6:52 I woke up in a panic that I had missed the Student Body program that I am in. I had not.

7:00 I headed out for a run. It was already hot.

8:30 My friend comes over before we go out for breakfast. She has recently been gallivanting around the Middle East doing some top secret spy work. Just kidding. I think. We hadn't seen each other in so long, and I was so happy that she wasn't kidnapped. She brought me back what is quite possible the best souvenir ever, a Burkah Barbie. A Barbie wearing a burkah. And a head scarf for me. I decided against wearing it so that no one would have to say,

"This is Margaret, our Student Body President. No, she's not Muslim. I really have no idea why she's wearing that head scarf."

Just thought I'd save everyone from that potentially awkward conversation. Maybe another day.

9:00 We meet many other seniors at a near by International House of Pancakes for breakfast. We don't see all the other seniors, so my friend and I settle into a booth on the other side of the restaurant. It is only after we have ordered our drinks that we see the enormous group and move all our stuff over there. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not the waitresses are spitting in our food. I, for some unknown reason, order black coffee and drink it all. I never drink coffee. I also order a fruit cup because that is about all I can think about eating without getting sick. At this point my nerves are in full swing.

9:20  I leave in order to meet the other officers. My fruit cup had still not arrived, so my friends agree to bring it. I fill a Styrofoam cup with more coffee and hit the trail.

Something about coffee makes me feel adventurous.

10:55 After several hours of practice and being nervous, we head onstage to do our program, a continuing skit called, "The Acad Bunch." I play the mother. Go figure.

After the program we have an hour for lunch and then 20 minute classes. This is why I say the firs day doesn't count. There is no way that 20 minutes is long enough for me to form my opinions on each class, and it's certainly not enough time for the teacher to completely introduce the class, leading to a partial lesson the next day. It really takes about a week to get going. By that time you've settled in, hunkered down, and are ready to brace the storm. You've also taken the first test, opened your crayons, attended opening meetings, and made new friends.

And formed opinions. That I am good at. 

3 comments:

  1. Another great post. Abbie laughed. And, I agree that the first day is not really the first day. I would rather have full classes or no classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Babaghanouj burka Barbie :) woot woot!

    ReplyDelete