Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Western Fetish Continues

My new computer has required me to move things over and sort through a lot of files. This is a royal pain for someone with absolutely no techy skills. But, I did manage to upload my Vienna pictures and Norton Antivirus. In that order. And as I looked through files, I came across some poems I wrote for my tenth grade poetry project. Now, some of them are Dumb with a capital D. But others, and one in particular, I like. 

So I will share it.

I know this may seem like a cop-out, but I just got back from Spinning class and I need to study for Mock Trial and iron my clothes. And I like the poem. It reminds me of Cowboy Kent and Ree Drummond and John Wayne and all other cool cowboys and cowgirls. So there.

At Home on the Range

I step off the plane and take a deep breath.
I can tell I am deep in the heart of Texas.
Although it is December, warm, sweet air fills my lungs as I breathe. 
I love it here, where everything is big, and the land stretches all around me and goes on forever.
I love the smell of brown leather chaps and tamales cooking in hot oil.
I love the mixed music of the horses ad tractors and roadside stands.
I love the long green gras tat dances in the wind as if to say "This is where you belong. This is where you feel free."
I love eating real Mexican food outside on New Year's Eve.
I love the rows and rows of ranch houses, as far as the eye can see.
Someday, one will be mins.
And then I see the familiar face that has called me to the prairie.
I run toward her, picking up my cowboy bots with the speed of a prairie dog.
For it is not just the long grass or the lack of wintry mix that calls me here.
It is not the enchiladas or the habaneras or the turquoise.
It is something bigger, something stronger.
It is friendship.
And as I gaze at the clear prairie sky with my best friend,
I realize that someday I want to say
That I would not exchange my home on the range
For all of the cities so bright.

And Ashoken Farewell just came on Pandora. That song really gets me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment