Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Food Network Syndrome

I'm not sure if it exists, but I have Food Network Syndrome. In other words, I'm obsessed with cooking. All of a sudden, I can think of nothing but flavor combinations and chopping techniques.  I pour over episodes of Master Chef and Chopped and Pioneer Woman. I eye vegetables in the store, imagining them in a mystery box. I find gluten-free desserts I can imitate and improve. Starches are no longer carbs, but blank canvases upon which explosions of flavor can be built.

In other words, I will never look at food the same way again.

There is only one problem with this. I'm not the greatest cook. Sure, I'm creative, but as far as execution and condition of the kitchen following my escapades, I'm rather hopeless. I usually end up with a fairly good but terribly over seasoned concoction and a royal mess.

Tonight I tried again. I made a vanilla cake with key lime frosting, and in 11 minutes, we will see if I succeeded.



1 comment:

  1. The best part of the cake was the essence of key lime with a hint of raspberry. Loved the thin layer of jam to give moistness to the slightly dense GF cake. Nice effort. Keep trying!

    ReplyDelete