Saturday, August 11, 2012

I Slept in a Tent Last Night

What you are about to hear may blow your mind. Especially if you know me. And my phobias.

I went camping.

In a tent.

My youth group has an annual camping trip, and this year, I was in attendance. I couldn't leave until late last night due to prior obligations (too bad) and didn't arrive until almost 10:00! By that time the camp fire was over, and I had successfully avoided smelling like smoke. Check. I got into my pajamas and found my tent. Then I laid out my sleeping bag. I did not, however, get into the sleeping bags. Sleeping bags were invented by the arch nemesis of some poor, claustrophobic person, and they are intended to make said person break out into a cold sweat. Thanks, but I'll pass on sleeping inside a cloth bag tonight. I got on my bag, wrapped up in a quilt, and, in true Margaret fashion, was asleep in three seconds. As I fell asleep I heard this,

"What time are you getting up?"

"6:00."

"What in the world?"

"I just want to see the sunrise. It rises at 6:24, and I want to be there."

"Oh, how great. I'll come too. Do you think Margaret will want to come?"

No, Margaret did not want to come. In fact Margaret apparently slept through a baby crying, a thunderstorm, the struggle to close the flaps during the thunderstorm, all attempts to wake her, and the sunrise. I slept like a rock all night, and while everyone else was making morning memories, I was far, far away. In a world that's disappearing I'm afraid.

Sorry about the random Sound of Music reference. Really not sure where that came from.

Please tell me you knew that was Sound of Music.

Anyway.

I rose right before breakfast, ate, had devotions by the lake, and tried out my new camera with some beautiful landscape shots. Then it was time for the annual canoe race.

Did I forget to mention I got in a canoe? And while I can now cross that off my list of possible Olympic sports, I didn't fall out of the boat. Ahh, sweet, sweet success.

The rest of the day was spent eating, taking pictures, tubing followed by showering, and watching sand  volleyball. Notice I said watching. Actually playing would have put me over the edge. I can only be so adventurous in one day!

Now I'm home. I'm clean. I'm tired. Being outdoorsy is exhausting! But I'm glad for the adventure.

And for running water.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that was from the Sound of Music. I am not ashamed.

    When I was in 8th grade I went on a mission trip from my church to build a church in St. Lucia. The last night we were there I was dead tired and slept through all the roosters crowing all night and apparently something akin to a category 4 hurricane causing everyone sleeping outside on the porch to scramble inside. There was also a dog running loose in the room when this storm occurred. Glad you slept well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did not know that was from Sound of Music. And yes I was the one getting up at 6:00 to see the non-existent sunrise.

    ReplyDelete