Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Clogging Cousins

It's still Tuesday. I can still meet my goal. Phew.

It's all I can do to tear myself away from the Olympics. But I do, because of my dedication to this blog. And the fact that I hate to mess up on a goal.We'll see how that goes with the school year quickly approaching. I'm sure my school adventures will be fabulous blog fodder.

Speaking of adventures.

My wonderful grandparents celebrated 50 wonderful years of wedded bliss last Saturday, so we had a party for them the night before. We invited a bunch of their friends and family members to join us for dinner at my grandpa's favorite BBQ place. This was a great idea that my mom and aunt had. They also made a video documenting their marriage and a quiz about my grandparents. Also great ideas. My mom wanted to make them a calendar. My aunt wanted all the cousins to clog. We did both.

I repeat. We clogged. As in clogging. Dancing.With loud metal strips on your shoes. All six of us, ages 12 to 22 (poor, poor Kai), clogged for my grandparents on their anniversary. Here's how it happened.

July 4th: My aunt lets us know about her big idea. We watch a hilarious how-to video and vow to practice often.

July 30: The week of the party we practice for the second time. A clogging friend of my uncle's agrees to help us out. Bless him. My mom and aunt go about getting taps for our shoes.

August 1: First taps-on practice. We all diligently try to get this dance down so as not to make complete idiots of ourselves if at all possible. During the course of the evening a majority of the 12 taps fall off. The situation is looking grim. Even grimmer than ever.

August 3: We practice on the stained wood floors of the restaurant right before the party. We are afraid that the waitresses will ask the Clogging Cousins to leave before our debut. We kind of hope they will. Our routine goes smoothly, though. I don't fall on my rear, which, knowing me, is a real miracle. We also manage to stay relatively together, with the exception of my poor youngest cousin, who was perfectly opposite every time. We even got our next gig! We're supposed to clog six years from now for my great-aunt Sally's 50th anniversary party!

I'll be 23. Fun.

Happy Anniversary, Gram and Gramps!

We love you!

2 comments: