Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wien, Tag Zwei

Today we began our second day of touring. we stayed up late playing games last night, so we slept in a little this morning. Then we headed to the huge market in Vienna, where we were greeted by people trying to sell us all sorts of German paraphernalia. I love using my favorite words:) I was so glad to have Missy there to help me bargain auf Deutsch, and we got some good deals. After seeing everything that there was to see and getting yelled at by a strawberry selling man, we headed over to one of the many, many food stalls. Every other booth sells about one hundred different kinds of hummus, and they let you try it on yummy warm falafel. I don't think that is spelled right. Anyways, we bought some to take with us and headed over to Schönbrunn castle.

That is an amazing, amazing place. Thanks to Herr Dr. Kai I already knew about the Hapsburg family. On my first night here I watched his favorite movie, Sissy, Forever My Love. It's a terrific movie about Emproer Franz Josef and his wife, Empress Elizabeth, who everyone and their mother love and call "Sissy." Yes, Cole. They call her "Sissy," too! We toured the gardens, ate our lunch, got locked out of a bathroom, climbed to the top of the property, passed one million school groups, and had a fabulous time! It is so beautiful! I made a quick tour of the house, and then it was time for Kaffee und Küchen. YUMMY! So good! We had a lovely little table outside, and we continued our "No-English during times when food is involved" policy!

All this walking and modelling for pictures really wore us out, so it was back to the apartement for a little rest. Herr Dr. Kai soon came home, though, and we headed out for wiener-schnitzel! Finally! We went to a really, really authentic place, and by authentic I mean lots and lots of grease. Herr Dr. said that makes the food takes better. It makes me want a shower. The food was great, though. I had schnitzel, pommes (french fries), German potato salad, and cucumber salad. We also had their version of ketchup. Mom and Dad, you'll be glad to know that I think I'll stick with the non-homemade variety:) Now we're back home getting ready for another busy day...tomorrow is the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg! Hooray!

Ok, I have a hundred and one pictures to post, but I can't really figure it out right now. I will post them later:)

4 comments:

  1. At first I read "every other booth sells about one hundred different kinds of humans."

    Then I got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's falafel. And, I guess I need to beef up my instruction about the Hapsburg Dynasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sad that we've been best friends all this time an you still can't correctly spell falafel. At any rate, you having 101 pictures to post is a very good sign! You make me so proud. Make sure you don't forget that camera tomorrow so you can document all the sound of music tour details for me. Oh and you had schnitzel just like Baroness Schraeder! Not so great huh? Maybe you should try to find some babaghanouj and show off your mad Arabic speaking skills. Have you found me a Vienna bag yet? Can't wait for that story! It's nice checking up on you everyday. I miss you, BB! Much love from Nicholeeee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Dad could add homemade ketchup to his homemade mayonnaise.

    Here are my memories of Salzburg: running through the garden like Maria, seeing the hangman's house in the middle of the field from the mountain above the city, Sacher Torte at Cafe Winkler.

    Viel Glueck u. viel Segen auf all deinen Wegen!

    ReplyDelete