Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Grand Finale

I am currently sitting in the Vienna airport waiting for my flight. We had to get up at the crack of dawn. Ok, 5:15. Same thing. I made a stop for one last Almdudler. I could write all day about Almdudler. I will one of these days. Then I hugged Missy goodbye and headed for my gate. This is where the trouble started. Turns out you have to go all around in circles before finding the checkout line for gate B37. I think every get has it's own very specific place. Finding said gate can be a challenge when every airport employee seems bent on making the little American tourist cry. Ha! I didn't, though!

So now I am in the Vienna airport waiting for my little flight to Munich. And writing about our grand finale. That I haven't gotten to yet:)

Missy, Herr Dr. Kai, and I had the most wonderful day yesterday. We slept in and then took a bus and a train along the beautiful country roads to Dürnstein, a tiny village about an hour outside if Vienna. We explored the village and then climbed up to an old fortress on the mountain. The view from that mountain was gorgeous! You can see for miles and miles. Everywhere you look you see mountains and vineyards and tiny cottages. It's fabulous. When I get home I will upload all my pictures. You won't believe it:) While we were up there it started pouring! We ended up ducking into some ancient cave that was part of the fortress that King Richard the Lionhearted was held captive in! How cool is that? We waited out the storm with an older couple from Lindt (yes, as in the chocolate!) They were so sweet an we had fun talking to them, auf Deutsch, of course!

Then came my favorite part. We picked up bikes and rode along the Donau river. We rode on tiny country roads through the vineyards. We rode from little village to little village, stopping along he way to take pictures and eat carrots. It was amazing! Everything is green and luscious. Truly amazing. When it started raining again we ducked into a tiny restaurant to have a little snack. We all ha super fresh grape juice with sparkling water mixed in. Besides Almdudler, that's basically all we drake. Juice with sparkling water. It's so wonderful. We ended our wonderful day with dinner in a quaint little restaurant in Dürnstein. I had a yummy salad. It was beyond words. Let's just say that bacon, goat cheese, and plums were involved. And balsamic vinegar. Yes. I miss it already.

Our little last adventure was a wonderful end to a wonderful trip. I'm so sad to see it ending. Missy and Herr Dr. Kai were so sweet. We already have my next trip planned! Yay! I'll see everybody real soon:)

P.S. It is approximately 2:36 a.m. If any of you are reading this now, go back to bed. Aaggghhh! That means that I should be going to bed! The return of Jetlag!

I may not see you for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. OK. So, being in the cave where Richard the Lionhearted was is way cool. Think about how the histories of England and France were altered because of that and it provided the setting for the fictional story of Robin Hood.

    Dodging showers by ducking into caves and eating little carrots while drinking juice with sparkling water. I've got nothing for that.

    ReplyDelete