Thursday, November 22, 2012

We Are Blessed

Today is Thanksgiving Day. Everything stands still and we eat.

And eat.

And eat.

I was in Tennessee for the holiday meal. My aunt and uncle live near Nashville, and my grandparents came down and we all ate dinner together. This was an unusual dinner for us, though. We ate out for dinner. My wonderful aunt found a restaurant called Monell's and we all headed over to eat. No prep, no clean-up, just food.

It was just great. Monell knows how to bake a turkey. Or cook or roast or grill or whatever one does to a turkey.

Here's the thing, though. We ate family style. As, expected, right? It's the family holiday and we ate as a family. In South Carolina, that's what family style is. Not in Tennessee, though.

Let me enlighten you. In Tennessee, family style means you eat with other families. You all sit around one big table and eat and talk and eat and get to know each other. And eat.

Now, at first I was skeptical. I know, big surprise. But it was nice. A good reminder of the big, beautiful, blessed world we live in that doesn't revolve around us.

And a new definition of family.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

1 comment:

  1. Thankful for you and the evidences of God's grace in your life!

    ReplyDelete